Scimitar Chair - rare early production
The Scimitar chair or model '63 is designed by Preben Fabricius & Jørgen Kastholm in 1963 and is now considered an icon of Danish Mid-century Modern furniture design. The chair, which was first shown to an international audience in 1964, was the breakthrough for the designers.
The chair on offer is an early production chair from the 1960s made by the master upholsterer Ivan Schlechter. At the time, he was considered the most skilled leather upholsterer. He did, among others, the upholstery of Poul Kjærholm's furniture.
The chair is in original condition with the original hand-sewn leather and hand-cast stainless steel foot. The base is in excellent condition, the leather has acquired a nice patina and has some stains. Under the seat is a small tear with some loss of leather.
- iconic Danish Mid-century Modern chair
- manufactured by the famed master upholsterer K. Ivan Schlechter
- fully handmade
- very rare early production - circa 1960s
- it is believed that Schlechter made fewer than 150 of these chairs between 1963 and 1984
- original patinated leather & polished stainless steel base
- manufacturer’s plaque attached to the underside of the seat
height: 70 cm - depth: 74 cm - width: 82 cm - seat height: 38 cm
good vintage condition (see also description and pictures)
price on request