A set of four dining room chairs designed by Hans J. Wegner, made in the 1960s.
Hans J. Wegner designed the CH23 dining room chair for Carl Hansen & Son in 1950, together with the CH25 easy chair. As a result, both chairs share some similarities in design aesthetics and materials used. Like its bigger brother, the CH23 has clean, simple lines and the seat is made of woven paper cord in basket weave pattern which gives the chair its modest yet modern look.
At the time you could choose from various versions. The frame was available in a combination of beech and teak, either full oak or a combination of oak and teak. The seat was available in paper cord or woven rattan. The rattan version was available at an additional cost.
The version I am offering is the less common, full oak version with a woven rattan seat. Most CH23 chairs came with paper cord seats.
The chairs are in refinished condition, the wood has been cleaned and re-soaped and the seats have been re-woven with new rattan.
- original Carl Hansen & Son made CH23 dining room chairs (set of 4)
- late 1960s production - each chair is dated by the carpenter who made them
- frame in light oak with double-woven cane on the seat (no longer in production)
- silver Carl Hansen & Son label attached to underside of the seats
- new cane applied by a professional weaver
height: 75 cm - depth: 48 cm - width: 52 cm - seat height: 42,5 cm
near mint condition (see also description and pictures)